Friday, October 4, 2013

First petition

I am happy to announce that I have authored my first ever petition. It took me a while to grow up to this level. Many of you know that I have been moving towards a zero-waste lifestyle. I had a contention and many people pointed out what is the use of me taking a radical stand, that its not practical and it has no impact. While I was brushing away these critical remarks, I couldn't deny the fact that leading a sustainable lifestyle is not enough. But, it helped me see how to make an impact.

Few years ago, I read about styrofoam and started avoiding it completely. When I eat in a restaurant and I am not able to finish eating, I will ask if their to-go box is styrofoam and decide weather to take the food home or not. Many a times, I feel like having Indian fast-food, I would take my own containers for snacks and chai. I have tried talking to several business owners about not using styrofoam. They usually say, "This is the cheapest option and I am a poor businessman". That's when I realized it has to be a policy level change.

During Climate Ride, I mentioned this to my buddy, Marla Marcum. She mentioned that one city in New England was able to get an ordinance to ban use of styrofoam food containers. She gave me the idea that such ordinance needs to be passed city-city, state-state before it becomes a federal law.

I have taken the first step in approach by creating this petition. Please take a moment to sign it. I am open to constructive criticism on the structure of the petition summary.
Thanks for your support!


No comments:

Post a Comment