Saturday, February 11, 2012

Energy Choices in Texas

I moved to Texas last year. At first I was skeptical about the green living choices I would have here but I was in for a surprise. When I moved into an apartment, the leasing office gave me a website to choose my electricity provider. The website is http://www.powertochoose.org. I have never had to choose my electric provider before and hence didn't think much about it until I visited the page. One of parameters for comparison of the companies listed in this website is their % of renewable energy content. When I browsed this site, I found a few with 5% and thought I will choose one of them. Scrolled some more and found companies that use 100% renewable energy. My choice was easy. I went with a 100% renewable energy company and I live guilt-free when I forget to turn off that closet light switch.

Texas has invested in lot of wind mills which provides major % of the renewable energy content. There are multiple companies offering 100% renewable energy. So, the rates are competitive. One other cool thing about this website is you can choose to switch provider at anytime as long as you don't have a contract with your electricity provider. At the time of move in, all rental properties should direct you to this website to choose your electricity provider.

If you live in Texas, think about making the switch today and live guilt-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment