Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reduce methane at home

Did you know that organics in landfill is a major source of methane generation? Don't take my word for it. Check the facts at cool2012 campaign.

Organics like food, paper products and yard trimmings when dumped in landfill get decomposed anaerobically due to lack of oxygen. This improper decomposition produces lot of methane, one of the green house gases responsible for Global warming.

Each year we fret so much in the summer and wonder if it is Global warming. Of course it is. Stop fretting and start helping. There is lot of guidance at Compost guide and HowtoCompost . My friends in India can find a composter here.

I live in an apartment and have a indoor composter. It works well with most of my organics waste but there are some limitations. If you have a yard, you can choose among worm composter, tumble composter, composter bins or a compost pile. I have heard that tumble composter is very easy to use.

I am excited that two of my friends have started thinking about composting. One is going to start a worm composter and other one will start with a kitchen composter. I hope they will comment here on their progress.

So, what's your compost?


1 comment:

  1. I will keep you updated on my worm bin... I just ordered the worms this weekend so they should arrive sometime next week. :)
    Thanks for your support and all the info!

    ReplyDelete