Friday, December 26, 2014

Hair recycling

Many of you know that I have been driving towards zero waste for a few years. I have made small incremental changes to my lifestyle and I am now very close to being zero waste. To give you an idea, I have a 13 gallon trash bin and I haven't filled it in six months! I am proud of that. I am going to have a separate post about it when I take the trash out in a couple of weeks.

Recently I found out that hair can be recycled. Since hair is very good in absorbing oil, they use human and pet hair to make blankets which are used during oil spills to remove the contamination.

I found out about it from this video about a month ago. I was away from my town for work but I got inspired to come back and implement it at home. I had pretty long hair and that was the main component of my trash. As I was thinking about this, a minor accident happens...

I go to a restaurant and we sit at the last table. I was sitting with my back to a four feet high wall. When I was wearing my coat, my plait lands in a candle on the wall behind me and it catches on fire. The waitress quickly puts out the fire. The next day, I went to cut my hair. I decided to treat myself by going to an Aveda salon. I asked my hairdresser if she can give my cut hair in a bag for recycling. I thought she will look at me weird but she didn't. In-fact she has heard about this program and the salon had participated in a drive during the Gulf spill cleanup.

I asked her if she can talk to her manager about sending hair on a regular basis to the program and she said she will try. After a month of putting off this project, I finally acted on it. I bought a step trash can, some compostable liners. Added all the hair from the salon and removed as much of the hair from the trash bin. My trash bin is all dry waste - so nothing nasty in there. I compost my food waste.

I have created a box for hair and I am ready to send my first collection for this very important cause. Checkout details at here. Another step closer to zero-waste. BTB, I made the label by sticking a piece of paper to a magnet that I didn't need. Just found out that magnet sheets cannot be recycled. So, I am re-purposing it.


Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great info...after health I think it's time to implement some serious recycling at my place. Thanks for inspiring and keep your awesome posts on recycling coming! Bwn can you blog on recycling and repurposing plastics at home in general?

    Cheers
    Priya

    ReplyDelete